Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Everyday I'm TEFLin': Week 1

Ah, I'm back in America!!  Everyone speaks English, free water, huge gaps in the bathroom stalls.  And of course, being in Atlanta, the constant scent of fried chicken.  I'm sorry I never wrote while in Prague!  People said the TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) course was intense, but nothing could have prepared me for it!  So get ready for an update of the last 4 weeks.

I showed up in Prague and there was some confusion about where I was staying, but we figured it out eventually.  I signed up for the orientation program, mostly to get to know my classmates.  We visited the Prague castle and cathedral and then we went to this cool old bar from 980 AD...or somewhere around there :D  There were skulls all over the walls, plus entertainment!







The first week of class was fairly easy and uneventful.  The school is a 10-minute walk from Old Town Square and across the street from 2 big malls.  Some girls and I found a great restaurant at the top of one of the malls with my favorite view of Prague.   

View from restaurant
Friday I found an acro yoga class!  The September TEFL class took us around Prague and we saw the light festival that was happening that weekend.  Saturday I explored Prague with some of my classmates.  We went to a flea market, walked through a pretty park, and found a hauntingly beautiful graveyard.  The graves were so old the ground was caving down around them and ivy covered most of the headstones.  

Graveyard
Sunday I went to church and relaxed.  Around 7:00 PM I was too bored to stay inside so I took a walk
towards Old Town Square.  While I was walking, I noticed a cute guy walking by me, keeping pace.  He caught my gaze and said something in Czech.  I told him I don’t speak Czech and does he speak English?  He said he spoke hardly any English.  But I found out his name was Tony and we were able to communicate a little bit, even more when he pulled out his tablet and used Google Translate.  We walked around and visited the light shows.  He was very sweet and offered me his arm.  When it was time to go home, he asked to see me again and I gave him my number.



No comments:

Post a Comment